In My Mind

Thursday, November 16, 2006

I Glimpse Into the Mind of a 2 Year Old

Anybody that has kids knows they peroidically says things that give us great insight into how their minds work. Bella is no exception and I am frequently bewildered by some of things that she says.

I think it is interesting how they catergorize people and things together. One of her latest statements/questions has to do with what she can do and when. "Nammy, I can drink coffee when I become a Nammy"? I imagine she must think a lot of things along the same lines but not always question them. She must think that Daddies brink Diet Pepsi, Dappies work on computers all the time, Great Nammy and Great Dappy always bring candy and presents, etc.. I wonder when these "rules" become fuzzy. It will be interesting to see.

I feel his aspect of a two year brain I am just getting into. Being nervous that at any moment she could say something completely inapprioate and embarassing. I think this is because that are so uber observent and dont yet have the social filter that we adutlts have. This one example wont be so horrible, but no less I didnt want her shouting it from the roof tops. We were headed to a mall today and she casually asks "Nammy we going to the diaherra mall"? Well the name of the mall happened to sound kinda like diaherra, so she just made a minor mix up. After seeing mine and my mother reaction, she thought we was the "last comic standing". This was all she could talk about. Diaherra mall this and diaherra mall that. I was waiting for it to shouted when we actually got into the mall.

It is for this reason I am always nervous when we get in an elevator with a person in a wheel chair or a person with a cane gets behind me in line. Maybe I am worried too much about nothing and my parenting skills will kick in, but I am forever worried about it. I know what is going to happen. As soon as I stop being on guard about it, it will happen. I guess it is kinda a like a right of passage through for parents.

I dont say these things to give the impression that Bella isnt smart. I think she is incredibly smart it is just fascinating to think of all the thing we have to store in our memories to function in the world. We have to know all the given things that we take for granted that people know. I love looking at the world through my childrens innocent minds and I had to laugh today when on our way home from getting Bellas hair cut, she asked me "Mommy can I wear my layers to bed"?

1 Comments:

At 2:07 AM, Blogger xmas said...

Soooo cute! Jacob announces sometimes, "When I'm a daddy, I can eat steak." Yeah...see Nemo post as to why this is funny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home